Saturday, December 29, 2018

Making WW I Paper Soldiers for Trench Hammer rules

Despite unexpectedly learning my printer can not handle 110 pound paper, but inspired by another approach to basing Paper Soldiers by Kaptain Kobold, I decided to experiment with a foam  approach to basing Paper Soldiers.  I glue together 2 separate sheets of colored foam (different colored foam can be used to delineate armies). Let dry over night and then cut into 40 mm by 30 mm bases using a pair of scissors. Next, I use an Exacto knife to carefully cut through 1 layer of foam. For bases with 2 figures I mark and cut 10 mm from each end. For bases with 3 figures (machine guns, etc.), a third slice is made in the middle. If you are using 1 figure platoon HQ bases, they are 20 mm X 30 mm and have a single slice in the middle of the base. A 2 cut base is used for a Company HQ (Lt. and Sgt.). Tacky glue can be used to secure paper figures, but is NOT necessary.




                                                          Half of a Hand Bomber section

I am making a legendary American 369th Infantry ( "Harlem  Hellfighters") platoon/company supported with French machine guns and led by French officers.

To print out your own WW I soldiers check out  Ungern's or Vasily Zaitzev's paper figures at World War I Ground Forces on the Junior General's website.

Inexpensive Platoon/Company level rules: Trench Hammer rules (currently for under $5.00)

Unfortunately, Trench Hammer rules only include platoon information for the British and Germans.

US WW I platoon was made up of 4 sections: Hand Bombers, Rifle Grenadiers, Riflemen and Automatic Riflemen. Platoon HQ was 1 Lt., 1 Sgt. and 4 Privates.

French WW I platoon was also 4 sections (squads): Bombers (8 rifles), MG squad (1 chauchat, 6 rifles), 2 X rifle squads (12 rifles each).

Disclaimer: There are wide variations in basic platoon configurations depending on date and nation.  

I used 67 pound paper (on sale), but 65# (shinier paper) would be fine also. The glue for assembling the paper soldiers is Scotch Clear Glue. 


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the US and French organisations.

    Would you run the US Platoon HQ as a squad in its own right, or simply treat it like other nations and have the officer and NCO as single figures (and assume the rifles are hanging around in the other squads)?

    I have assumed that for other nations it's really down to when particular support weapons became standard - when a Lewis became obligatory kit, for example, or the idea of having guys carry lots of grenades. So early was I'm guessing it would be rifle squads only, supported by HMGs, with the integral LMGs feeding in later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, yet, Kaptain. Some of my issues are the nature of the "Harlem Hellfighters" with an HQ of an advisor and officers. I was originally following your approach until I was dealing with this unusual unit.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I tried the slit-based method several years ago for some Mexican Revolutin figures, but didn't really get along with it. However I'm now reminded that Junior General has Mexican Revolution figures and that Trench Hammer is probably more than equal to the task of running games ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go back and forth with the foam bases. I started with cardboard and hot glue, which is not a good choice. My friend uses foam board, which is fine but seems too thick to me. I do like your method of gluing, but wanted to experiment. TH can be used for a lot of those type of scenarios. I have printed the paper figures for the Polar Bear Expedition into Russia and will probably tackle that solo in the not too distant future. Thanks for you AARs on Trench Hammer.

      Delete