Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Making 6mm Granny Grate Artillery

Small Black beads, cotton swabs cut to size and painted with gunmetal craft paint, granny grate cut into an elongated T. The cotton tips of the swabs removed and can be unwrapped for artillery smoke. Assemble cannon frame and barrels with glue. #7 granny grate and these beads friction fit and do not require glue.  Tip: easier to fit beads to grate before gluing cannon and barrel frame.

Heavy artillery
  Galloper guns (light Artillery) use a shorter granny grate T and the barrels are made with gunmetal #7 granny grate.

Galloper assembly
                                                              Granny Grate crew attached


8 comments:

  1. Hi Rick,

    Now that is a neat idea!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, David. I'm going to try them on an offset board.

      Delete
    2. Hi Rick,

      I have used an offset board for naval games (Axis and Allies War at Sea) but not for land actions so I will be interested to see how you get on. What rules are you looking at?

      All the best,

      DC

      Delete
    3. Think I'll postpone the offset square board for now and go with measurement sticks or tape measure for movement. The rules will probably be what I call modified Old School, which are close to Bob's Portable Wargame. Two test games will be a Battle over a mountaintop stronghold and a totally random deployment for both sides based on dice rolls. I will probably bring out my Hair Roller armies when Bob's French Portable Wargame is released.

      Delete
  2. I recommend trying a hole punched piece of matt board for the wheels. It is so fun making these types of hand-built special items. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken, I tried that approach, but scale at 6mm was off, to me. Also looked at small sequins. But, decided on an easier approach.

      Delete