Saturday, November 11, 2017

a tribute to H.G. Wells' "the Battle of Hook's Farm"


To kick off my solo Imagi-Nations campaign, I decided to accept H.G. Wells' challenge with his "Battle of Hook's Farm".  My campaign will be experimenting with Bob Cordery's "the Portable Wargame" and "Developing the Portable Wargame" as its rules. They are a simple, unique and adaptable set of rules. My grandson, Eric contributed his Legos for the buildings.





Map setup on a Chess/checker board for "The Portable Wargame" rules
(click on photo to enlarge)


                                                            close up of chess/checkerboard

 
                                                 Map setup with my 8 X 8 with 2 inch squares board
                                                           (click on photo to enlarge)    


                    The legendary Red and Blue armies made with Risk 2003 replacement parts
                                                             (click on photo to enlarge)

 The troops arrive on the table. This is my best interpretation of Wells' description. If you have a better interpretation of the troop setup please comment or contact me.

H.G. Wells' "Little Wars" courtesy of the Gutenberg Project and scenario description provided by Bob Cordery's Developing the Portable Wargame.

6 comments:

  1. Looking good! I see that you have used a vinyl chessboard that is similar to ones that I have used.

    I look forward to seeing hoe the battle plays out.

    All the best,l
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bob ! I'm trying to figure out a way to incorporate Wells' commentary into a battle sequence for the Blue army. Also will redoing https://rixxk.blogspot.com/2017/10/battle-of-issus-dba-30-on-8-12-x-11.html on an even smaller board using your Ancient rules. So how soon for 18th century rules ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick Krebs,

      Good luck with trying to incorporate the commentary. It seems to me to be one of those things that looks easier that it will.

      I'll be interested to see how your re-fight of the Battle of Issus goes on a smaller tabletop. I think that my Ancient rules might be up to that challenge.

      How soon until the 18th century rules appear ... well that is a question! Currently I have my Spanish Civil War book almost ready for publication, a lecture to write about Kipling (to be delivered at the end of November) and the outline for another book to have ready by the end of January. I suspect that the 18th century rules might be appearing sometime around March/April next year ... I hope!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. I probably overthought the initial setup, but as I am now editing the post battle report, I will not reveal how I think it turned out. After playing this scenario, I am looking forward to using your Ancient rules on a compact board. I also look forward to those 18th century rules 8-)

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Rick Krebs,

      I look forward to reading your battle report.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete